21 November 2010

Beetle Save

OK... so I told this story to one of my classes, and someone said that I should write this type of thing down like a short story, so that's what I'm going to do.  This is about my act of heroism to save a beetle as I was walking to my car the other day.  I thought that saving a bug made me weird.  Nope, apparently people save bugs all the time.  Awesome!  I think it is perhaps the internal dialogue that took place afterwords that makes me weird... anyhoodle... we'll get to that.

I was leaving work after classes and office hours and was walking to my car.  It's a lovely day outside... sunny, cool, and just plain gorgeous.  So... I'm sauntering down the sidewalk when I notice a little black beetle.  The poor thing is on its back it's little buggy legs frantically scrambling in the air in an attempt to push itself over.  I paused and looked around.  Looked around?  For what?  I don't know.  Apparently I was awaiting a little buggy squadron to come help... or figured that people would wonder what the hell I was doing and judge me.  Really, I have no idea.  That's when I decide to help the little guy get on his feet.


I'm wearing black boots, and my first attempts to help involve nudging his side with my boot to try to give him a little shove onto his feet.  The first few attempts are just worthless.  His buggy legs seem to get even more frantic in movement.  Next thought... maybe I can get his feet to stick to the bottom of my shoe, and then he can flip himself over.  Apparently my thoughts were that all bugs can just stick to things... you know... like a fly walks up a wall or on the ceiling?  Obviously, the panic of the little bug of a ginormous black thing coming down towards him completely obliterated any attempt at saving him in that manner.  I realized I was going to have to get close to the guy. 

I don't want to touch the beetle with my hand, because I don't have sanitizer.  So, I look around, and see some pine needles nearby.  I pick a few pine needles up and use them to gently push the little beetle over onto his feet.  I don't know what I expected after that, but I stood there and looked at the beetle for a moment.  He just stood there.  Yes, I am assuming it was a male beetle.  He is still just standing there.  I decide to go ahead and leave but am thinking that he better move soon or someone might step on him accidentally.  I look back (seriously, I looked back) and saw he was still just standing there.  This is where the weirdness known as me comes in.


I decide he still hasn't moved because he's shocked a ginormous creature, a human, has just stopped and helped him instead of stepping on him.  I literally imagine a little beetle dialogue in my head... "Wow.  Those big things aren't usually nice like that.  They usually step on us.  That was nice!"  I smile to myself thinking that I have just helped a little beetle and imagining how thankful he is.  On the bright side, I did not imagine the beetle had this unique voice or dialect.  That weirdness, at least on this day, was not to be found, I am proud to say!

So, I've discovered since this day that saving insects' lives is not that uncommon.  I'm glad to hear that.  Look, I'll stop in the middle of a road and help a turtle across.  Whether he wants it or not, dammit!  I mean, I take in the direction he appeared to be heading at least.  But I was surprised to see other people even helped insects.  I draw the line, however, at roaches and spiders.  *Shiver*  No way.

No comments:

Post a Comment